Monday, November 29, 2010

Blog Challenge. Day 24.


I have been a slacker on the blog challenge. So give me a break, it was a holiday. If I don't have to go to school or work, I don't think I should be required to blog either. But I'm back now. Oh joy.


Day 24: A letter to your parents.


I am just going to start out by saying that I love my parents.


I am also proud to say that I did not wait until I moved away to realize that I loved them. Of course, when I moved away I understood more of just how much my parents did for me, which made me reach a new level of love for them. However, in high school, I liked my parents. Sometimes on weekends, I would choose to stay home and watch a movie with my dad and make crafts with my mom. My friends made fun of me sometimes, but honestly, my mom and dad were my friends too. They were just the really bossy kinds of friends that tell you what you have to do and when you have to come home. Just kidding. But in all seriousness, I was very blessed to be born to a mother and father that love me and would do anything for me. They are really the best people I know. So here it goes. . . .two letters. One for Ronnie Brooks. One for Mille.


Dear Dad,


I don't know quite where to begin. You have always been the man. I remember trusting you completely as a little girl, and I still do. I remember all the nights I waited for you to get home. I would play outside and wait for the truck to turn into the driveway. Then I would always run and greet you with a big hug and kiss. Sorry as I got older I didn't wait for you as faithfully. But I still was always pretty good about coming and saying, "Hey Dad!" and giving you a kiss.

Thank you for being such a great provider. You are by far the hardest worker I know. You never complain either. I know there are lots of times you probably feel tired and hurt, but you always keep it to yourself. I look up to you so much. You have always put our family's needs before your own. Actually, you always put others before yourself. I love that about you. I love that you act like you are such a bad guy when in reality, you are one of the most Christ-like people I know. You just like to act like a tough guy. In reality, you have a huge heart. I have always admired your acts of service for me and for other people. The way you do it so quietly, not expecting anything in return. It isn't surprising that everyone likes you so much and enjoys being around you. You are accepting of everyone, and you always come to the rescue.

I also look up to the way you go about making others always feel special. You have a gift at that. All of my friends have always loved you because you genuinely care about what they are doing, and you never failed to tell them how wonderful and pretty they are. I always have to smile too, at the way you make the little, old ladies at church feel. Those little widows love you. They probably feel lonely a lot, having their husbands gone, and you know just how to brighten their day. The way their faces light up when you give them a big kiss on the cheek. They blush like they are little school girls again. I seriously think GG had a crush on you, because you made her feel special and pretty. Don't ever forget to make mom feel extra special. . .because she is.

I will always be your angel. Thank you for supporting me. Thank you for teaching me how to play basketball. Thank you for teasing me and rough housing me as a kid, it has made me a tough one. Thank you for always zipping my dress up for church when I was little when my short arms couldn't quite reach. I love you.



Dear Mom,


Boy, I have so much I could write to you! You are my best friend. Thanks for always being there for me. I am convinced that you are Super Mom. I have never seen a more supportive and helpful mother, nor will I.

Thank you for coming to all my things when I was younger. You were at every sporting event, cheering me on, even when you didn't know quite what was going on. You knew the score and if I was doing well or bad, and that's all that really matters. Thank you for always pushing me to reach my full potential, even when I felt afraid and didn't want to. I owe most of my achievements to you. Since you were right there helping me, cheering me on, and letting me cry on your shoulder when needed. You were basically my own personal secretary when I was in high school, which I feel quite guilty for now. I am sorry for all the times I didn't treat you like gold. I am sorry for the times I was mean and impatient. I am sorry for the times I took my failures and bad days out on you. I hope you know through all of that, I still loved you more than anyone.

You have always been a person I can talk to. Whenever I have problems or need advice, I come to you. Because you know me better than anyone else. After all, you did give birth to me. Thank you for always taking care of me. Thanks for letting me be your first. I think you did a pretty good job. In all honesty, I am super intimidated of having children because I know I can never be as good a mom as you. But I guess I'll try.

I also just want to let you know, you are such an amazing woman. I don't think there is anything you can't do. I have realized more in the past year just how talented you are. You know how to do lots of things, which I think is neat. You know how to quilt, cook, crochet, write, paint, make crafts, garden, play music. You are so well-rounded. I am glad that whenever I have wanted to learn something, my mom can also be my teacher.

I am sorry for all the tantrums I threw as a child. From what I hear, they were pretty rotten. I am sure I will have a kid that throws them just like I did though. Karma. And I'll be calling you when she is rolling around on the mall floor, screaming, asking you what I should do. I love you, and let's be friends forever.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day. Leave a comment.