Monday, April 30, 2012

Color Run

On Saturday morning, I woke up early and laced up my tennis shoes so I could go and run a 5k. This 5k was quite unique though. Throughout the course of the run, there were different color stations set up. While running through the color stations, volunteers threw colored cornstarch on all the runners. But that was only half the fun. After crossing the finish, all  us runners got to pick out our own color packet to throw around. The sky became clouded with bursts of color, and all us runners looked like we just finished rolling through a rainbow or something. It was fantastic. I took extra precautions and made sure to wear ugly clothes. I wasn't sure if the color would stain or not, so I decided to be safe rather than sorry. I also wore this ugly fisherman hat to protect my hair. It really just made me look ridiculous and made my head sweat a lot. Oh well.. I guess I'll just have to get into fishing this summer.










I just love running. I feel free while going on a run and I love the idea of competing against myself. Each run I go on, I am encouraged to better myself.

Not only do I think running is great for myself personally, but it can also be a great thing for others too! The Colors 5k was only part of a whole day event called "Colors for Tessa". Tessa is a young and very beautiful lady who is battling cancer for the third time in her life. You would think that would get a person down, but this woman stays positive and grateful. She somehow manages to still find the beauty and good in all things, even her own personal trials. I hope my little portion of what I paid to run in the 5k can help her precious family out. She really is such an inspiration. Just watch this video to find out for yourself. Grab a box of tissues while you're at it too.


5 comments:

  1. It's actually her third bout with cancer. Her first diagnosis was when she was 16 and since then she has married and now has two little kids as she tries to struggle through. Her father is the controller at my work. We're fundraising like crazy. You might be interested in her blog: http://tessascancerjourney2.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I will change that. Funny thing is I actually had third but before publishing the post I watched the video again and thought it said two. So much for my double checking. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful woman -- thanks for posting that at the end Kelsey. Your race looks fun and definitely worth it. I'm also glad your little sis made it through the race before letting appendix erupt (or whatever happened).
    Colette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. More on the appendix story later. Poor sister.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day. Leave a comment.