Thursday, July 5, 2012

Freedom

I'm one of those obnoxious people who plans my life out according to holidays. The 4th of July is no different, especially since it's one of my favorites, right up there with Christmas.

I just love the feel of it. I love how much we reflect on this great country and the people who made it great and still make it great today.



All the Independence Days of my life are filled with memories of 5k runs, parades, face painting, swimming, barbecues, greased pig chasing, dunking machines, and firework shows (and of course my firework squeals which come squeaking out of my mouth during the entire span of the firework show). I love everything Americana with a touch of small town feel. And that's exactly what my July 4ths always are. Yesterday was no different. Driving down the street of our town and seeing the streets lined with American flags made my heart swell a little and I felt especially proud to be an American. The day was filled with fun, family, and zero worries as I enjoyed the various freedoms I'm blessed with.

But then, last night, I had a reminder of why I have it so easy. While at our family barbecue my mom told me the news about a soldier from my hometown who was killed in Afghanistan on Tuesday. While in a watchtower, he and others were suddenly attacked and he was shot down. There I was, eating ribs smothered in barbecue sauce and stuffing my face with homemade rolls and mac & cheese, enjoying the company of my family. . .all because of other people like that soldier who leave the comfort of their own homes to defend our freedoms. My heart goes out this soldier's family, and all other families who have lost loved ones to war.

God bless America. I'll leave you with a music video which I like and find pretty appropriate. Because, really, look how far we've come.


2 comments:

  1. Love the music video you posted. Matchbox Twenty has been my favorite band since I can remember. My dad was such a cool dad, who would play me Matchbox Twenty when I was a little girl! I grew up listening to them and going to their concerts, and they are coming out with a new cd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe! I love Matchbox as well. They know how to make goooood music. And that's wonderful news that they're creating a new album. Stoked! I had no idea.

      Delete

Make my day. Leave a comment.