Friday, March 30, 2012

That Time We Went To Hawaii-Part 1

The hula lady at church told us that aloha meant breath of life. Yes, there was a hula lady at the Nondenominational Christian church we went to. And yes, my sisters asked us a million times afterwards why we don't say things like, "Thank you, Jesus," during prayers at our church.

Oh, family vacations. They are simply the best. The time we spent driving around the Big Island in our rental van, hoping we weren't lost, laughing, and listening to my younger sisters bicker will be cherished forever.

That insane hike we went on during our first day on the island will also be cherished forever. I know my calf muscles cherished it. After hiking down and looking at some breath-taking waterfalls and patting the backs of some wild horses, we walked to the shore and enjoyed the black sand beach. The dark sand seemed to sparkle as the sun reflected off of it. And it felt so refreshing to just mush the sand in between my toes. It also felt refreshing as well as exhilarating to force my tired legs to sprint into the booming waves. We all laughed as the water came in, knocking us over, cooling our bodies and filling our nostrils with salt. Other tourists watched us and laughed.

And can I just say, it amazes me how pretty this world is? The lushness, the dampness, the sunniness. . .everything about Hawaii was just the break I needed. I needed that breath of ocean air and that time to just reflect on life a little.

After finally hiking back up from the beach, we found the perfect little Mexican bar. I had Mahi Mahi tacos and we all practically overdosed on chips and salsa. Then we went grocery shopping so we could enjoy bowl after bowl of cereal, as well as every variety of m&m you could possibly imagine. Oh, and we had a henna kit. So We decorated each other with henna designs. It was lovely. The whole trip was lovely. So lovely I thought it'd be a shame to shove it all together in one blog post.


   












1 comment:

  1. oh. my. gosh. I want to be there SO bad. And I LOVE that yellow swimming suit. this looks like so much fun!
    oh hey, I tagged you in a post if you want to join in on the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day. Leave a comment.