Friday, December 16, 2011

O Tannenbaum

We are young newlyweds. It's not like we're rolling around in the dough over here. So when it came to purchasing a Christmas tree, we really weren't looking forward to spending a ridiculous amount on a fake tree.

So why not go chop one down? We practically live in the wilderness. There are plenty of pine trees in these parts, right? Well, I forgot to mention one little detail. We are young newlyweds who own a very curious and playful kitty cat. And I just wasn't too fond of the idea of picking up countless pine needles every evening before resting my head down on my pillow at night. Plus, the speed at which Luna can scurry up full-grown trees kinda scares me. And last time I checked, I have never seen a cat as a tree topper. I think we should just stick to angels and stars on that one. Not cats.

Therefore, we jumped at the chance to get a 7 ft tree at Walgreens during Black Friday weekend for only $25. When we pulled it out of the box, we could kind of see why it went for so cheap. The branches were a bit sparse and also quite smashed, but I didn't mind. It gave me the chance to give our tree some love. I didn't want some grand and majestic tree anyhow. I wanted a tree I could adorn with my vintage ornaments and I also wanted to wrap it up in Christmas ribbon and stringed popcorn, as tacky as that may or may not sound. And now that the dingy little tree is all decorated, I never want to take it down. Because there is just something so nice about having something so ugly yet so beautiful tucked away in the corner of our living room. After all, all things deserve to be loved.


Also, I found the neatest idea to make some sentimental ornaments for pretty gosh dang cheap. I'm all about being cheap. If some people were presented with the option of describing me in one word, they might just say: tightwad. Shout out to Martha Stewart, for giving me the idea of taking some favorite pictures and turning cookie cutters into ornaments.




So easy. Yes, and we totally dedicated an ornament to Luna. Just call us the weird cat couple.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day. Leave a comment.