Friday, December 17, 2010

A Delicious Homemade Mess

Patience. A thing I sometimes lack.


Example:




Recently, Brian and I were bored at my apartment. Shayla was not around so we couldn't annoy her. She had gone home for a wedding. I probably would have gone home, however, I had worked that afternoon so I just decided to stay put in Logan. Brian and I decided we wanted to make a treat. So we created
HOMEMADE OREOS!




Fact: These are not our oreos.


Another fact: Ours actually looked way better than these ones. Plus we made the frosting red. That is right, they were Christmas oreos!


The recipe we used was fairly easy. I will leave it at the end of the post for all you people with a sugar tooth problem. Don't be ashamed. I have that problem too. The only difficult part of making them was the mixing part.


The cookie mix is mostly cake mix and butter. Then there are some eggs. The eggs are the only bit of moisture involved in the recipe. Try mixing things together without much moisture. It is hard. Especially if you don't have an electric mixer. We have beaters, but no mixer. Shayla and I came to the conclusion that it got lost in the move after summer. Since both of us are cheap and do not want to purchase a new one, we are left with two beaters that sit in the drawer and do absolutely nothing. So there I was, mixing with a weak sauce spatula, my little arm wanting to fall off. I felt like I was getting no where. This is where the patience comes in. Or the lack there of. I threw the spatula in the sink and reached my hands right into the bowl (I washed my hands, they were germ free). I started massaging the ingredients together, feeling the chocolate gush between my fingers.


It. Felt. AWESOME.


Brian turned around and laughed at me. I kept massaging, mixing, and pounding until it was all stirred together. Then I realized my hands were covered with chocolate batter.


I told Brian to get it off but he refused. So I tried to rub it on his face. He dodged, grabbed my arm, and caused me to smear it across the kitchen cupboards. Oops. Don't fret, I wiped it up all sparkly clean.


I finally got the mixture off my hands, only to realize I had to put my hands back in the bowl to make the mix into little balls. On the bright side, there were two sticks of butter in the mixture, so my hands that were beat up from the winter cold got deeply moisturized. Woo hoo!


........................................................................................................................................................................


Homemade Oreos


2 chocolate cake mixes


4 eggs


2 sticks of softened margarine


Mix all. Place 2 inch balls on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 minutes at 350. Cool completely and sandwich 2 cookies with spread.



(Now for my favorite part. . .the spread)



For the cream cheese center spread:


1/4 cup margarine


2/3 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese


1/2 tsp vanilla


1 cup powdered sugar


First beat cream cheese smooth with egg beater then combine the rest.


Told ya. Easy.

2 comments:

  1. Why didn't I hear about these Oreos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because we kept them all to ourselves to fatten up for winter! Muahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day. Leave a comment.