Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Little Bird Book Review: And Then There Were None

A-

Since the beginning of this blog's life, I've always had what book I'm currently reading on the sidebar. Sometimes it's there for months and months . . . other times only a few days . . . before I change it out for a new read. I've always been a huge fan of reading. When I was just little (first and second grade) I began reading Shakespeare and Greek Mythology. I started out as an only child (I'm the oldest). Once I learned how to read, I found that I didn't have to play by myself when turning through the pages of a book. The characters in the stories I read became my friends.

I've toyed with the idea of doing book reviews on A Little Bird Told Me for a while now. And finally the other day, I was like, "What the heck. I'm doing it." So hopefully there will be a bookworm or two out there who can enjoy these posts. Otherwise, I'll just do them for myself. After all, this is my blog and I'm greedy.

I recently read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and I finished it in two days. I should also add, I'm a very slow reader. I'm the type that has to stop after every sentence so I can imagine what's going on. I couldn't get enough of this book. It doesn't help my case since I'm a total murder mystery junkie and Agatha Christie is said to be the "Queen of Mystery".

The story begins with 10 mysterious characters receiving invitations to the same island. Some are invited to the island for vacation, others for employment. Once all the characters arrive, they soon find out that their trip to the island is not what they originally signed up for. One by one, each character ends up dead. While the characters are trapped on the island, awaiting their fate, they must try to discover who the killer is. 

I couldn't put this book down. Not only are the characters within trying to figure out who the murderer is, I was doing so as the reader. It seemed like each time I'd figured it out, the character I was suspicious of would die next. The book caught me by surprise and had (what I thought to be) a very unexpected ending.

I do wish there had been a bit more character development. I understand that Christie doesn't want to reveal too much about any of the victims, in order to keep the killer a secret. However, I didn't even have an idea of what any of the characters looked like. How old were they? What color of hair did they have? I am the type of reader that needs descriptions. Names alone do not work for me. The first portion of the book, I had to keep turning back to remember which character was which. For this reason, I gave it an A- instead of a solid A.  

It's an easy read with less than 300 pages. Pick it up and give it a read. Just make sure you're not home alone . . .    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day. Leave a comment.