Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An Elephant's Faithful. . .100%





I had the awesome opportunity to teach Relief Society on Sunday. Boy, was I scared! But at the same time, I really loved it! I love getting to prepare for things and teach myself more about certain topics, and it's super rewarding to get to pass on what I found to others. I swear the girls in my ward are all perfect, little angels though. So I felt extremely inadequate to try teaching them something.


Inadequate to the max.


I think all went well though. They didn't tell me never to come back, so that's a good sign. I really want to just share a few things I learned about on my blog though. Because I'm in LOVE with the topic I got to teach about. It's a topic that all of us use in our lives every single day! People that would like to think they aren't religious even use it.


It's called FAITH.


All those crazy LDS people like me out there probably remember singing that song in Primary,


"Faith is like a little seed. If planted it will grow. ."


There is also this scripture, which is quite nice:


Alma 32:21

And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.


Hmmm, so let's think about this. When we plant a seed, don't we expect that if we take care of it in the right ways, it will grow into a flower? Or maybe you planted a pumpkin, so it will grow into a pumpkin. Whatever the heck you planted, that's what you expect to grow. Don't you have faith then? Because you can't see it yet. . .but you hope for it. . .and it happens.


You wanna hear about the best Family Home Evening ever given? This is a little off topic, but not really, plus it's hilarious. Over the summer, my family had the chance to teach FHE to the old folk at the assisted living center. Brian and I got pulled into helping, but it was fun. He played the guitar and we sang together. Anyways, we were to teach them about faith. My mom had this cute idea of letting the old people plant their own seed in a cup of dirt, and then they could watch it grow. They would then have a flower to enjoy in their little rooms. Well, as you might know, these older people get various pills handed to them throughout the day. Some of them can't see very well, and maybe some are a little loopy (I hope I'm loopy when I get old). So as we handed out these cups of dirt, and then a seed, they automatically thought it was pill time. We had old folk everywhere eating their seeds. It was rather hilarious, I thought. You don't have to go around eating your faith though. But it is something you can develop. By working at it. You have to want it. You can't just sit and wait for it to grow. Same with the plant. If you don't water it and keep pesky bugs away, your seed might just die. To be faithful, you need to take action and do good things in the life that is yours.


I like Horton from the children's book, Horton Hears a Who. I think he's a very humble character. He is also very faithful. His motto is actually,

"I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, 100%."


Even when all the animals in the jungle think that Horton is a nutcase, he still sticks by his story. He knows something is on the speck he found. He WILL NOT deny it. Such a sad story this would have been if Horton would have denied what he had faith in. All the Whos in Whoville would have died! And I love Whos!

Especially this one!

I really would like to end this entry by sharing the following video. It is one of my favorite churchy videos ever. Probably because the people involved in the video are so close to my heart. It's a tender spot for me. After going to Ethiopia, I know I have a lot of things to work on. The people of Ethiopia have faith that could slaughter mine. Even though the man in this video, Anthony, has passed, I am forever grateful to him. I love him and hope I can tell him thanks for showing such an amazing example of faith. He made change in Africa possible. I'll tell him. Someday. . . Enjoy. Make sure you have tissues nearby. You may just cry.

Go out there and show some faith now. I don't care what you have faith in. Whether it be in a higher being, a flower growing, that you'll wake up in the morning when you go to sleep at night, that you'll accomplish all your dreams. . .just have a little faith. You can have faith that some Whos live on a speck even. Just find some faith and let it glow.

Now for that video. . . . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day. Leave a comment.